2. Are you involved in any community or group projects where you donate your work? if yes, what project or projects? Not at this time.
3. Do you belong to a small group of like-minded artists? yes/no name/where what is the best part of being part of an art group? Yes. Eight of us meet monthly. We call ourselves GTG, get together group. By far the best part of our group is how different we each are in our work and how much we inspire and support each other in our work.
4. Are you a member of a professional art organization, such as SAQA? Have you ever held a volunteer position in the organization, and if so, what? I'm a member of both SAQA and SDA.
5. What is your favorite palette of colors that you use in your work? name 5 and your least favorite colors? Name 5. My palette has been changing with my new environment. Current favorites include greys, blacks and neutrals with bright highlights of red, golden yellow, and turquoise. I will very rarely use greens, browns and purples except as shades and complements of other colors.
6. Describe your creative work space in 20 words or less. Are you messy or tidy? Key elements are my design wall, sewing space, and a microwave for dyeing. Most of the time, my space is a study in organized chaos.
7. What is your creative process? think, draw, design, make or right to the design
Think, dream, and more think? Sometimes it takes me months to to come to grips with a design idea. Walking, drawing or doodling are helpful too.
8. Is there a particular object or shape that shows up repeatedly in your work? Why? Hand stitching has become a key element in my work during the past few years. I like the unique personal quality, almost like handwriting, and the energy that stitching gives the work. I love playing with threads of different texture, sheen, color.
9. If you had to choose a favorite artist from another media, who would it be, and why? A current favorite is Sarah Sze whose assemblages convey an amazing sense of space. They are like drawings turned into sculpture.
10. Have you written a book related to Art Quilts and Quilting or have an instructional DVD? If so, can you tell us the title or titles? None yet.
11. Do you make art full time? If you have another career, would you describe what you do? and how you incorporate art into your life? Between art, gardening, cooking and learning about my new location, I have never been busier.
12. What is your most thrilling news to date in relation to your art quilt life? Being an artist in the 2012 D@8 show!