1. What year did you make your first quilt? Traditional or art? 1999. Is there a category for “A mess!” I had no clue how to make a quilt so I just sewed all the fat quarters together as they were.
2. What is the first show, and year, that you ever entered your art quilts? Venue? 2005. International Quilt Festival, Houston. A series of journal quilts.
3. What is your artistic style? I am a mixed media artist who employs a heavy influence of hand calligraphy in my surface design.
4. Have you ever changed your style from when you started making quilts? I would have to say yes, when I started making quilts I was making more traditionally pieced ones. Now I feel I have finally broken free of my fear and have been working on painting and hand lettering the elements and using fiber and alternative materials to create more depth.
5. What other style in quilt making piques your interest? I love, love, love the new Modern Quilt designs. I am so inspired by the color palette & simplistic designs which in turn leave lots of room for free motion quilting!
6. What other medium in art influences your work as a fiber artist? Street art, Graffiti colors, Calligraphy
7. What do you have coming up? I currently have two works in the Sacred Threads exhibit. I also have two lectures coming up for local guilds and a Calligraphy workshop. I look forward to teaching more next year.
8. Where will your art take you from here? The possibilities are endless & I am excited to follow the path.
9. Describe your studio space: I have a small 8 x 10 foot room dedicated to my work.
10. What was the biggest challenge you have encountered in the making of your art quilt for "An Exquisite Moment?" The biggest challenge was overcoming my fear and hand painting the images directly without using stencils.