Diane Rusin Doran
1. Describe your signature style in 5 words: colorful, luminous, detailed, layered, surrealistic
2. Do you ever work in another medium and, if so, what is it and what appeals to you about it? Photography, which goes hand in hand with my quilts, because I love capturing the moment.
3. What's coming up for you in your artistic world? I have many quilts designed and am hoping to find the time to create them and enter some new to me venues.
4. Do you have any studio rituals? I tell myself “I think I can” when I begin.
5. Who has inspired you on your artistic journey? My grandmother, Esther Hepler Ingelsby, who worked in many mediums but especially water colors and oils.
6. What are the 5 essential things in your studio that you cannot live without? Great lighting, a large table with the machine inset in it, my trusty Bernina 1130, a self-threading needle
7. What is on your design table right now? Several experimental pieces.
8. How do you juggle your artistic life, family, friends, etc? My art usually takes a back seat to my other responsibilities. However, once I commit to myself to meet a deadline I make it a personal priority.
9. Do you have any studio companions (human or otherwise)? Occasionally one of my three sons.