Monday, September 17, 2018

Artist Profile: Wen Redmond



Wen Redmond
Strafford, NH
‪1. What is sitting on the edges of your work table?‬ My work table has a supplies at the ready, pieces or samples of work and ideas to work.
‪2. If someone looked beneath the surface, what could be revealed that we might not know about you?‬ I am an introvert. I need time alone to recharge, download and generally re-center myself.
3. What occupies the space between your sewing machine and your cutting table?‬ onothing! I turn to my sewing machine in a lightening second, or a NY minute, when in the flow.
‪4. What is the most exquisite moment in your artistic life?‬ When the work becomes more than I could conceive of in the planning stages. Working is a meditation for me. I lose myself in it and as I work, plans change, the piece dialogues with my sub-conscious and small celebrations are held within.
‪5. Do you have daily rituals in your studio?‬ Actually, no. I seem to work seasonally. I do the actual work mostly in the winter here in the cold blue north. Planning and inspiration seems to take place daily, whether I want it to or not.
‪6. Reflecting on the quilts that you have made, which one stands out to you?‬ Pieces that speak to me generally are more personal. It could be a inspiration from a favorite walk, a photograph of home or near to loved ones, sometimes even a construction technique I enjoy fully.
‪7. What do you have an affinity for in your work?‬ Experimentation! Without a doubt! When I was writing my book, Digital Fiber, I would make a sample and immediately get an idea for another sample. I had gobs of materials to send my publisher.
‪8. What kinds of patterns do you use in your work to create interest and texture? ‬Texture itself speaks to me. Textures created with mixed media materials can be printed digitally with the use of an digital ground, used as a transfer base or it can create a background for an digitally printed silk organza photo overlay, as in my piece, Layers of Meaning.
‪9. What personal iconography is identifiable to you exclusively in your work?‬ I think photography. Photography has spoken to me for decades. When I was able to use my photography to create digital fiber works, my work exploded. Presently, I either manipulate images using a variety of digital tools or create unique substrates to print on or over-lay which influences the final image in a physical way.
‪10. What was your inspiration for the Best of Dinner at Eight?‬ A solitary boat slides across a bloom of Queen Ann’s Lace viva a hand created digital photo. The boat is the heart of the piece while the shoots of the flower direct the creative energy beyond and outward.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave us a comment, as we enjoy hearing from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...